PART 2 - Top 100 ideas to grow South Australia
1. "Create a trade development zone where we reduce tax and create incentive for employment. An industrial techno park - our own Silicon Valley."
Managing Director Angelakis Brothers
2. "Tax reform on small to middle sized businesses and the wine sector in general. General incentives to get business going to everyday people. Too much red tape and OH&S."
3. "We need to have more confidence in ourselves. Each and every one of us needs to lift the bar, build on our network and have confidence in ourselves and each other."
Celebrity chef, Barossa Valley
4. "The power of positive thinking. Let's think around the problems and create the niche we will flourish in. Also, stop with the 'SA is too conservative for that'. We're not."
Chef, owner Barossa Farm Produce
5. "Image of South Australia is confusing - mining, defence, festivals? It is the Wine State exporting 500million bottles globally, consumed by 2 billion."
6. "More investment in the arts. Promote regional tourism. Investment beyond Gepps Cross, the Toll Gate and Darlington. Adelaide ain't a city state."
Sunday Mail columnist and 891 ABC Adelaide evening host.
7. "Make it easier to grow and produce premium, artistan food without red tape, encourage hiring of youth through payroll tax relief."
Grazier, award-winning butcher
8. "They should bring back the fringe benefits tax and abolish payroll tax. You shouldn't get taxed to employ more people."
Owner Press Food and Wine, Melt
9. "We have a lot of gifted people but we don't believe in ourselves enough. We always look to others for a decision. And we need to give a few pollies a hot chilli enaema."
10. "A reduction in employment expenses: tax, workcover etc - cut the amount of red tape and find ways to reduce utility costs. Focus energy on a strong industry strategic plan and sort out which Government is responsible for what."
11. "Reduce retail penalty rates. We can't afford to operate on Sundays even though our staff are willing. Globally, create nation-leading incentives for entrepreneurs to set up shop in Adelaide and work to keep creative people here."
Burger Theory owner
12. "Greater focus on the youth of SA to stay here and test the boundaries, via government grants and incentives to encourage entrepreneurs and small business operators."
Little Miss Mexico
13. "Tax reform and population growth will enable business to prosper and Adelaide to be vibrant."
Owner Coffee Branch, Clever Little Tailor bar
14. "An iconic world-class concert hall; making SA a leading cultural destination, enabling the ASO to gain greater global recognition, creating employment opportunities."
Music Director and Chief Conductor Adelaide Symphony Orchestra
15. "A visionary approach is needed in the Arts, eg establish 'The Contemporary' an international centre for artists, writers, dancers, musicians, for residencies and performances funded by seven foreign governments and the Australian Government."
Greenaway Art Gallery
16. "Give every car worker a million dollars to walk away and start up their own business. More productive than the subsidy billions."
Author, poet, playwright, general practitioner.
17. "Bring the space industry back to SA. Innovation, jobs, investment, future-all in one wonderful package."
Award-winning author of speculative fiction
18. "Longer opening hours. Revitalise public spaces. Get into silicon."
Shortlisted for the Miles Franklin award, author of 10 novels and Chair of Creative Writing, University of Adelaide
19. "A law bringing all rents down by a third. This would put billions back into the state economy."
Author, screenwriter, speechwriter to former Premier Mike Rann.
20. "Consumers are being fooled into thinking convenience or budget is better....it is not.
We need to promote confidence and pride in our state, that investment and quality are important.
21. "An importance should be placed on helping maintain manufacturing in South Australia instead of outsourcing overseas. We should be encouraging local designers, pattern makers and machinists to work together."
Designer, Paolo Sebastian
22. "Encourage and support entrepreneurs with business skills, raising money, incubators, partners and cash flow"
Managing director of Australian Fashion Labels
23. More good company, times and music will create productivity by letting people once more feel like people.
Owner/Manager, The Governor Hindmarsh
24. "Put an end to payroll tax. For a government to penalise businesses for creating jobs is a toxic message and flawed policy at its finest."
Managing Director, Shiels Jewellers
25. "I believe reducing Stamp Duty and Land Tax on real estate would increase investment here, rather than people investing interstate where there are less expenses."
Founder and head designer, Gate Unqiues
26. "We must grow our population. Target the best minds in healthcare, education and medical research. Create compelling opportunities for our youth."
Chief Executive Officer, St John Ambulance SA
27. "To increase visitor numbers and generate greater tourism dollars for the state, more funds should be available to bid for national and international conferencing."
General Manager, InterContinental Adelaide
28. "The planning approval process needs to be simplified and right of appeal to council approvals fast-tracked or eradicated. Land tax (in development phase) and payroll tax are also onerous".
Director of Living Choice
29. "Cut taxes at all levels and get our biggest employers - small business - moving with investment incentives like depreciation allowances."
Tomich Wines Principal Wine Maker
30. "A reformed view on GST and Stamp Duties for new home buyers is required to support the housing industry rather than tax this productive area of our economy."
General Manager, Devine SA
31. "We would like to see greater investment in workforce training to meet the growing demands of the disability sector. In particular to meet the individual meeds of South Australians Living with disabilities"
CEO, Spastic Centres of South Australia
32. "Investment in social infrastructure projects that creates opportunity for South Australians with varying abilities, will enhance workforce participation and improve productivity."
Chief Executive, Novita Children's Services
33. "SA could far better understand cultural and Eco tourism. Exploit the existing opportunities and expand this growing industry through exiting networks."
Artistic Director, Leigh Warren and Dancers
34. "To grow the state economy and jobs we need to reclaim the mantle of a serious cultural destination by investing in the cultural sector to bring vibrancy to the state."
Director, Art Gallery of South Australia
35. "People and businesses need to learn to stop being penny wise, pound foolish. Spend better and locally; not default to the cheapest option."
Graphic designer at studio Sector7G
36. A Government-sponsored partnership program to develop new brands/products by South Australian designers in collaboration with local factories and workshops.
Art toy designer 2012 Arts SA Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi-Japan Travel Fund grant recipient
37. "Bring in 'crowd-funded urbanism' as an alternative source of revenue for growth in SA's built environment. It divides building projects into low-cost shares, turning say a multi-storey building into a consumable product and giving people the opportunity to influence the development of their city."
Recipient of the Jack Hobbs McConnell Travelling Fellowship to explore how iconic architecture and urban design can create a unique identity for SA.
38. "Let's all get behind small businesses - support the 'little guys' and buy local."
Track cyclist - Paralympic gold medallist, three times Australian champion
39. "Like so many other successful cities, brand our natural assets - climate, food, arts, culture, landscape, innovation. Create environments people want to be in."
Director Oxigen Landscape Architects + Urban Designers
40. "Too much red tape, too complex when life in SA could be the simplest in the world rather than this complex."
Owner Toop &Toop Real Estate
41. "The state must embark on a genuine program to reduce Red tape generally but specifically in regard to the very many state regulations that make new construction more difficult, expensive and time consuming with no community benefit".
Director Housing Industry Association HIA
42. "We need to stimulate significant population growth to create a profound change to our entire economy, thus creating a new level of vibrancy that will in turn generate economic confidence." Paul Pruszinski, Pruszinski architects.
43. "Go for broke on old RAH site with a Guggenheim museum and iconic concert hall, and a stylish 'arty' hotel".
44. "I would encourage unions, business big and small, and all sides of politics to consider a hard-headed forum to discuss the big issues that threaten our future economic wellbeing. A forum will be seen by some as naïve; I don't believe SA has the luxury not to try it".
General Manager, Channel Seven Adelaide
45. "Revive international student numbers by streamlining visas and capitalising on the falling dollar. Promote Adelaide as cheaper, safer and better".
Principal, St Peter's Girls' School
46. "We have to find the political will and courage to provide meaningful tax relief and vastly reduced regulation as an immediate investment in small to medium business."
News Corporation Editorial Director SA, WA &NT
47. Population growth for sustainable prosperity driven by jobs if we concentrate on education, food and resources
News Corporation Regional Director SA
48. "I think promote South Australian Arts more interstate. It can be the home of arts again like it was in the Dunstan years. No one else is doing this in Australia."
David Campbell, musician
49. "Get the Food and Wine and Arts Festival people to help each become even more successful and thereby boom tourism
Artistic Director Cabaret Festival
50. "Provide greater support to the renewable energy sector to help foster SA-based technology for global markets."
CEO of ZEN Energy Systems.